He went into politics full time in 1991 when he was appointed as the first regional secretary of the northern Natal region of the African National Congress (ANC). In 1994 he was elected the first Provincial Secretary of the ANC in KwaZulu-Natal. He became ordinary member of the KwaZulu-Natal legislature in 1997 until he was appointed Chairperson of the Agriculture Portfolio Committee.
Between 2002 – 2004 he served as Chairperson of the Social Development Portfolio Committee and again served in the same capacity for the Portfolio of Education between 2004 and 2009.
He became MEC of Education in KwaZulu-Natal between 2009 and 2013. He was elected Provincial Chairperson of the ANC in 2013 and served as Premier of KwaZulu-Natal between 2013 and 2015. President Ramaphosa appointed Mr Mchunu as Minister for the Public Service and Administration on 29 May 2019..
She was an Ex-Officio Member of African National Congress ANC) Regional Executive Committee and she had served on the African National Congress Women’s League (ANCWL) Regional Executive Committee as Ex Officio Member and ANC Deputy Regional Secretary and Regional Secretary for Gert Sibande Region.
Ms Chikunga has also served as a Chairperson of ANCWL branch in Queen Lebotsibeni; Regional Task Team Member Realignment of branches and ANCWL Regional Secretary for Badplaas Region and she became a member of DCO Makiwane Youth League in 1982, ANC Provincial Executive Committee in Mpumalanga and had served as a whip from 2007 to 2009. She was the Deputy Minister of Transport prior to President Ramaphosa appointing her as Deputy Minister for the Public Service and Administration on 29 May 2019.
- Chief Directorate: Strategy and Governance
- Chief Directorate: Corporate Services
- Chief Directorate: International Relations and Partnerships
- Chief Directorate: Finance
Mr. Botshabelo Maja (DDG: Professional Support Services)
- Chief Directorate: Technical Support.
- Chief Directorate: Research and Market Intelligence
- Chief Directorate: Quality Assurance and Accreditation Management
- Chief Directorate: Outcomes and Impact
- Chief Directorate: E-Learning
Ms Phindile Mkwanazi (Acting DDG: Learning and Professional Development)
- Chief Directorate: Middle Management
- Cadet and Foundational Development
- Chief Directorate: Senior Management & Professionilisation
- Chief Directorate: Executive Management & Leadership
- Chief Directorate: Curriculum Support & Trainer Professionalisation
- Chief Directorate: Business Development & Specialised Programs
Ms Phindile Mkwanazi (CFO)