The purpose of this programme is to build the capacity of Public Service assessors to challenge existing training and development paradigms and conduct assessments that are outcomes based and contextualised for the Public Service and linked to the relevant Education, Training and Development Quality Management System (ETD QMS).
Target beneficiaries for this programme are Public Service staff and inter-governmental partners who are/will be responsible for conducting outcomes based assessments within the Public Service.
Minimum Requirements for Enrolment
It is assumed that learners enrolling for this programme:
- Have a working knowledge of outcome-based education and training and are able to communicate in English and in writing at NQF level 5,which is equivalent to a post senior certificate; and
- Have evaluative expertise within the field where they will be assessing.
In preparation for the programme learners are required to complete the following actions, prior to attendance of the programme.
Action 1: Essential Reading: Learners are required to read through the Pre-attendance Reading and Activity Guide which will be sent (e-mailed) to accepted learners two (2) weeks prior to the commencement of the programme.
Action 2: Pre-attendance Activity: Learners are required to complete the Pre-attendance Activity as part of their preparation for the programme. The Pre-attendance Activity forms part of the Pre-Attendance Reading and Activity Guide. A Resource CD which contains additional readings and the Assessment Guide will be distributed on the first day of the contact session.
NOTE: Learners must notify their supervisor/manager in order for him/her to support you on this journey. In so doing they will be able to successfully complete this programme and take the learning back to their workplace. To this end the availability of time, resources and an enabling environment will benefit both learners and their department.
By the end of this programme participants should be able to:
- Describe the approach to education, training and development in South Africa;
- Explain the outcomes based assessment approach in use in South Africa;
- Demonstrate a detailed understanding of outcomes based assessment;
- Plan for the assessment to ensure it complies with the principles of assessment;
- Prepare for the assessment;
- Prepare the candidate(s) for assessment;
- Conduct a safe, manageable and fair assessment in your workplace to ensure buy in from relevant stakeholders;
- Provide feedback related to assessments; and
- Review the assessment process for continuous improvement to ensure that assessments are at all times applicable and effective.
This is a credit-bearing course aligned to the SAQA Unit Standard indicated in the table below. After successful completion, participants will receive a Certificate of Competence.
|Unit Standard ID||Unit Standard Title||NQF Level||Credits|
|115753||Conduct Outcomes Based Assessments||5||15|
The course follows an integrated assessment approach, comprising:
- Formative Assessment Activities;
- Practical work-based assignment – The work-based assignment constitutes a number of workplace activities, which will allow the participant to apply knowledge and skills gained in the workplace; and
- Summative Assessment: The work-based assignment should be packaged in the form of a Portfolio of Evidence. A qualified assessor will assess the Portfolio of Evidence. The Portfolio of Evidence will then be verified by an internal and external moderator. Participants have eight (8) weeks to complete the workplace assignment and submit a Portfolio of Evidence.
This course is presented over three (3) working days.