The purpose of this programme is to enable departments in the public service to conduct organisational design processes. This will be done through guiding participants to use the information and tools in the DPSA Guide and toolkit on organisational design to improve the organisational structures of their department.
Senior managers, Deputy Directors, Assistant Directors in OD Directorates, Work study officers and senior work study officers in OD Departments which do not have OD Directorates, the target group will be persons in HR Directorates who specialise in OD.
Minimum Requirements for Enrolment
The learner who intends to enrol for this programme needs to have successfully completed an NQF level 5 qualification.
The name of each unit and the key outcomes for each unit is described in the table below:
BLOCK SESSION ONE: 4 days
Introduction of the learning programme
Understand the components of the learning programme in terms of purpose, outcomes, target group/s, programme strategy.
National and Legislative Contexts
Locate the need for organisational review and redesign processes as part of the broader national and legislative context.
Business Process and Change Management
Understand the critical processes of business process and change management as integral to the success of any organisational design project.
Overview of organisational structuring
Outline the key organisational design principles and processes in public service context.
Phase 1: Diagnose the organisational context
- Collect and analyse information about the problem/opportunity, including the current organisational structure, roles, Key Performance Indicators (KPIs), processes, technology and staff location, and
- Identify the root cause(s) of the problem, potential solutions and issues to address in the future OD, as well as strengths to preserve in the future OD
Phase 2: Determine requirements and capabilities
- Identify all the internal and external requirements for the organisation to perform effectively, and
- Design the most appropriate service model for the organisation, given the capability requirements and constraints (i.e. what must be incorporated into the structure to ensure that it addresses all the requirements for future success).
Phase 3: Design the future organisation
Develop an organisational architecture that will enable the organisation to be successful in the future and that will be aligned with the success indicators, design principles, capability requirements and the service model.
BLOCK SESSION TWO: 3 days
Phase 4: Plan – Develop business case and implementation plan
Develop a sound business case for the OD intervention to guide the implementation decision, and develop the implementation plan.
Phase 5: Implement the new structure
Describe the implementation of the new/revised structure to promote effective implementation, and
Limit any negative impact on current organisational performance.
Phase 6: Monitor and evaluate the new structure
Plan the monitoring and evaluation of the implementation of the new/revised structure, aimed at determining whether it is working as planned, and what should be done to improve or strengthen the structure and improve its benefits to the organisation.
|Unit Standard ID||Unit Standard Title||NQF Level||Credits|
|12138||Conduct an organisational needs analysis||6||10|
|252404||Design an organisational structure which supports the achievement of the organisational mandate||6||13|
This course follows an integrated assessment approach, comprising:
- Formative assessment: will be done through various class activities in which learners will be given the opportunity to demonstrate their previous and newly acquired knowledge and experience. After each block session learners will apply their learning in their workplace and will complete a series of assignments at the end of each block session.
- Summative assessment: at the end of the programme, learners will be required to complete an integrated final assignment.
This programme will offered over two block sessions (block one will run over (4) days, and block 2 will run over (3) days).