The purpose of this course is to equip middle and senior managers in the public service to strengthen their understanding and application of the National Evaluation System. It is part of the initiative to build evaluation capacity within government departments and to improve overall performance, accountability and effectiveness.
The course intends to provide basic knowledge on key concepts in evaluation approaches and guidance on how to apply them to evaluations. Its aim is to provide the learner with interactive learning material that stimulates the thinking-through of key concepts which the learner can then apply to the programmes that he manages or participate in.
This course is aimed at middle and senior managers in the public sector that have responsibilities to manage evaluations whether directly or indirectly. It includes new employees that are seconded to evaluation departments. This could include programme and project managers, M&E advisors and government evaluation specialists.
Minimum Requirements for Enrolment
It is recommended that learners attending this course should possess the following:-
- Communication at NQF level 4
- Attended a course in Managing and Commissioning Evaluation
- Working knowledge of the monitoring and evaluation principles
- Awareness of the legislative environment impacting on evaluations
- Understanding of the general public service imperatives
After completing this course learner will be expected to:
- Be conversant with six types of the elements of the National Evaluation Policy Framework, and should understand the value of each for developing policy and improving effectiveness of government programmes.
- Be able to select and apply the appropriate national guidelines in the conducting of evaluations.
- To manage three types of evaluation or be an active member of a team that manages these types of evaluations.
- Have a deeper understanding of each type of evaluation and use the information to draw up relevant terms of reference for an evaluation.
This outcomes based course is non-credit bearing.
|Unit Standard ID
The course consists of two days facilitated training with discussions and practical exercises for participants to work individually or in a small groups to development individual skills and apply the course content in their own contexts. Formative assessments will be conducted during classroom sessions to assess understanding of the knowledge gained. At the end of the course learners will receive a certificate of attendance.
This course is presented over 2 days.